Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Rediscovering the Power of Prayer

This is something of a theme that has been building in life around me for a while now...not sure I can even place the beginning.  I do know that it got a huge spotlight when my church began it's Audacious Prayers campaign.  Praying that God would show audacious powers in our church through our prayers.  Huh, what a concept, right?  I think we often forget just how powerful a tool prayer really is.  Yet it is spelled out for us time and again in the Bible:


If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.
 Matthew 21:22

The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
James 5:16b

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

Be bold!  Request a miracle!  God is sovereign and capable of ANYTHING.  He is a God of miraculous wonders!  It is only us that minimize God's abilities, not God.  There is no harm in asking God to do something this world will tell you is impossible.


Everything is possible for him who believes.
Mark 9:23 

Does this mean that God answers all of our prayers in the way that we want him to?  Absolutely not!  Do we, as parents, give our children everything they ask for?  Only God truly knows what is best for us, and we can trust Him to handle our requests without our directing Him.  Many become disenchanted with prayer because they feel God is not answering their prayers (God is not immediately giving them what they have requested).  May I suggest that God wants us to place all of our requests at His feet, and then let them go?  This includes letting go of what the outcome will be.  This does not mean God is limited and unable to respond immediately...it may just mean that He has something better in mind in His perfect timing.  Don't give up praying!

I have my own prayers that are yet unanswered, but I am choosing to continue to boldly go before God in prayerful petition.  I am asking Him to do wondrous things, having full faith in the fact that He can if He so chooses.  I believe God!  Not because of what He can do for me, but because of who He is.

I pray that God matures and increases my prayer life, and helps me teach its importance to my children.  I pray the same for you.

Jeanine

1 comment:

  1. I love the phrase, " I believe God, not because of what he can do for me, but because of who he is."

    We only see part of the picture. If we believe that God is good and loving all the time (which the Bible says he is) then we must believe that even when something seems wrong or bad, that God has it in mind for good. That is a difficult concept to grasp. It requires a tremendous amount of trust, and faith in who God is.

    ReplyDelete